Welcome to The Launchpad! Here, we hope to provide easy access to those just starting their publishing journeys, no matter what part of the industry you’re in.
- Query: a cover letter that introduces a project (manuscript, proposal, pitch package, etc.) to an agent, including a pitch and brief bio of the creator
- Pitch: short description of a project that includes the characters and stakes but doesn’t reveal the ending
- Synopsis: one- to two-page document that summarizes the major plot points of the project, including the end
- Category: whether your project is fiction or non-fiction and age of the target audience
- Genre: where your project would belong in the store (romance, historical fiction, self-help, etc.)
- Comp Title: Comparative titles of recent books, films, tv shows or video games that are similar to some essence of your project, be that plot, aesthetic, audience, etc.
- On Sub: the period when your project has been sent to editors (typically by your agent) for consideration
- R&R: Revise and Resubmit – can be offered by agents or editors who are interested in your project but think it needs more work before they can move forward
- Dummy: a sample picture book, usually in PDF format
- Pitch Package: for graphic novels, includes pitch, synopsis, script sample, and sample pages
- Proposal: for non-fiction projects, a detailed outline and marketing plan for the project
Here is but a small selection of resources to help you get started on your querying journey. For more helpful links, check out our Resources page!
Agent Maria Vicente’s wonderful website